(FAQ) How can I configure multiple MDaemon servers to share the same domain?
How can I configure multiple MDaemon servers to share the same domain?
MDaemon 10.x introduces a feature known as Domain Sharing. This allows multiple MDaemon servers to use the same domain name and forward mail between these servers if an incoming message is addressed to a user that exists on one of the other servers. MDaemon will query the other servers listed in the Domain Sharing settings (using the Minger protocol) to verify the recipient's address is a valid user on one of those servers. Once the message is accepted, it is then sent to the correct server via SMTP.
From the MDaemon console:
- Click Setup
- Click Server Settings
- Click Domain Sharing
- Check Enable Domain Sharing
- In the Host or IP field, enter the host name or IP address of an MDaemon server which you are using Domain Sharing
- If you are using a non-standard Minger port (4069) change the entry in the Minger port field. (Most likely, you'll keep this at 4069)
- If you are requiring a password for Minger queries on the shared server, enter it in the Minger password field
- Click Add
- Repeat steps 6-9 for any other MDaemon servers with which you are using Domain Sharing
Note that this requires the Minger service on all the MDaemon servers in use to be activated. To activate Minger, follow these steps:
- Click on the Accounts menu
- Choose Account Options
- Click Minger
- Check Enable Minger server
- If you wish to use a non-standard port for Minger queries, change the entry in Listen for Minger connections on this UDP port field
- If you wish to require a password for queries, select Minger queries require a shared secret field
- Click OK
MDaemon will also query any servers listed under the Domain Sharing settings for local accounts and incoming messages sent from local accounts if they are not listed in the current server's database.
Note: You can append a colon and port (i.e mail.example.com:2525), if you wish to use a specific, non-default port when sending SMTP messages to the host (this is not the same as the Minger port). The option to set this up is under, Setup > Default Domain & Servers > Domain Sharing tab > Host or IP section.