MDaemon 15.0.x - Moving MDaemon to a new server or OS using a different directory path
The following article will provide instructions on moving MDaemon 15.x to a new server or operating system in cases where the directory path has changed.
**NOTE - If running MDaemon's BES components on the old server, it is strongly recommended to use the same path. If this is not possible, it will be required to completely reconfigure BES on the new server.
**MDaemon administrators running accounts in an Open Database (ODBC) - Please chage the account database type back to the USERLIST.DAT file before following these steps. Once MDaemon is running on the new server/OS, feel free to configure account data back in an ODBC database.
- The existing MDaemon service must be removed to move MDaemon to a new machine
To remove the MDaemon service
- Select Setup
- Select Preferences
- Select Windows Service
- Select Remove Service
- Click OK in the Service was successfully removed pop-up.
- Click OK in the Preferences window.
- Select Yes when MDaemon asks to restart.
- MDaemon will now restart running as an Application.
- Follow the next steps to deactivate MDaemon and any other MDaemon plug-ins.
**NOTE - Deactivation is necessary to avoid any potential activation issues.
To deactivate your Alt-N Software
- Select Help
- Select Activate Your Alt-N Software
- Select Deactivate MDaemon...
- The SMTP, POP3, IMAP, and WorldClient servers in the Servers section of MDaemon will turn red (inactive).
- Proceed to deactivate any additional MDaemon plug-ins that are activated on the server.
- Open Windows Explorer and copy the entire MDaemon directory to the new directory on the new server.
- Use notepad to edit the following files and map the directory paths to the new directory path.
- \MDaemon\app\*.grp (if path references have been made)
- \MDaemon\app\cfrules.dat (if any content filter rules pointed to a directory)
- Install the same version of MDaemon that was installed on the previous server.
**NOTE - The server configuration, user directories, and other modifications are NOT changed when running the installer.Click here for prior versions of MDaemon
**NOTE - Please be sure the MDaemon service/application is not running on the new server.
- Next MDaemon's dirreorg tool must be ran to compile the changes made to the dat/ini files
- Open a command prompt
- Naviagate to the \MDaemon\App directory using the cd command
- Enter dirreorg /f
- Start MDaemon
If Outlook Connector or SecurityPlus were installed on the old machine you will need to install them after MDaemon is completely moved over. All your settings for each of those programs are already preserved from when you copied the MDaemon files over.
If you are changing your IP address(es) in addition to moving, the MDaemon.ini, Domains.dat, and/or Gateways.dat will need to be updated with the new IP address(es).
If you are using a third party SSL certificate, that certificate will need to be exported from the Windows Certificate Store and moved to the new machine as well in order to continue using it. The above process will not move it for you.