MDaemon 14.5.x - Activate a BES account on a Blackberry device via USB through WorldClient
This article will explain how to 'BES enable' an MDaemon account and activate the BlackBerry device using a USB cable through WorldClient
Note: Before activating the device the user should use BlackBerry Desktop Manager to backup any data you do not wish to lose.
In order to avoid duplicates on the BlackBerry device:
- Disable or remove any third party sync clients (such as a SyncML client) currently in use to synchronize data with the MDaemon account.
- If the BlackBerry device is using the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) to get mail from the MDaemon account, go to the device’s email setup and remove that account.
- At the time of activation, if the BlackBerry device contains calendar entries, then the activation process will not send existing calendar events on the MDaemon server to the BlackBerry. The BlackBerry user must either perform a device wipe before activating, or perform the calendar RSET procedure as described here: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15139
From the MDaemon console:
- Click on the Accounts menu
- Click Edit Account…
- Double Click on the account you wish to BES activate
- Select BlackBerry Enterprise Server on the left pane
- Click Enable BlackBerry device synchronization
- Select 'OK'
Now that the account is BlackBerry BES enabled, we can activate the device.
- Log in to WorldClient using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or later.
- In the top menu, click Options
- Click BlackBerry Management
- If you receive an Internet Explorer – Security Warning regarding RIMWebComponents.cab, click Install
Note: When accessed for the first time, the BlackBerry Management screen will need to download and use an ActiveX tool. You may need to add your WorldClient URL to Internet Explorer’s Trusted Sites list.
- Plug in your BlackBerry device into your computer using a USB cable.
Note: When plugged in for the first time, it will install the drivers for the BlackBerry device. This will require Administrative rights.
- Input your BlackBerry device password if prompted
- Once installed, it will show the BlackBerry device model and PIN number. Click Activate Device
WorldClient will then display the following animation while activating the BlackBerry device;
- When the wired activation is complete, you will see the following message: Wired activation complete. You may disconnect the USB cable. Enterprise activation will continue on the device. You can then disconnect your device from the computer.
A new email icon will appear (Desktop) on your device representing your BES enabled MDaemon account and Enterprise Activation will continue in the background